Why in News?
- The US Department of Labor has requested feedback from the public in the next 60 days on determining the wage levels for the employment of various immigrants and non-immigrants, including those on the H-1B visas.
What are H-1B Visas?
- The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows the US companies to employ foreign workers in specialty occupations that require theoretical or technical expertise.
- They allow an individual to enter the United States to temporarily work at an employer in a specialty occupation.
- The technology companies depend on it to hire tens of thousands of employees each year from countries like India and China.
- It falls under Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101(a)(15)(h).
Significance for Indians
- It is considered the most sought-after work visa among Indian professionals.
- The Immigration and Nationality Act was passed by the US Congress on June 27, 1952.
- It then introduced a system of selective immigration by giving special preference to foreigners possessing skills that are urgently needed by the country
- Visas like H-1 were established for “an alien having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning who is of distinguished merit and ability and who is coming temporarily to the US for temporary services of exceptional nature requiring such merit and ability.
- FEATURED IMAGE SOURCE : New Indian express
I am Educator , who teaches to aspirants of competition exam of UPSC/CSE, State PCS and all other one day exam .I have a More than 12 year teaching experience and career counselling in diverse fields.