RUSSIAN PRESIDENT (MR. PUTIN)
Russia Leader Vladimir Putin
Why in News?
President Vladimir Putin signed legislation that could mean he stays in power till 2036, according to government’s legal information portal.
Russian President Vladimir Putin
- Aged 68 years has been in power for two decades – longer than any other Kremlin leader since Soviet dictator Josef Stalin
- April 5, 2021 signed a law allowing him to be in power until 2036
- This was due to formalization of constitutional changes stamped by the Kremlin controlled legislature, endorsed in a vote in 2020 that included a provision to reset Putin’s previous term limits, allowing him to run for president two more times.
- Although, his second consecutive term ends in 2024.
- The amendments were approved by Russians in a nationwide vote in the year 2020.
- Approved by 78% of voters during the balloting that lasted for a week concluded on July 1. Turnout: 68%.
- The constitutional amendments also emphasized the primacy of Russian law over international norms, outlawed same sex marriages and mentioned “a belief in God” as a core value.
- Importance: Resetting the term count was necessary to keep Putin’s lieutenants focused on their work instead of waiting next for possible successors.
- Constitutional vote arguing that it was tarnished by widespread reports of pressure on voters and other irregularities, as well as a lack of transparency and hurdles hindering independent monitoring.
- In the months since the vote, Russia has imprisoned the country’s most prominent opposition figure, Alexei Navalny.
- Served two consecutive terms as President from 2000 till 2008, when he had to step down according to the rules of the previous 1993 constitution.
- Served two terms as Prime Minister with many observers saying he was still President in all but name before being reelected to the presidential post in 2012 and 2018.
- If Putin is re-elected twice and serves to the end of the second term, he will beat Josef Stalin to become the longest-serving leader of Russia since Peter the Great, who was in power for 42 years.
- Featured image source : BBC
I am Educator , who teaches to aspirants of competition exam of UPSC/CSE, State PCS and all other one day exam .I have a More than 12 year teaching experience and career counselling in diverse fields.